If you build it, they will con, from the Netly News

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Jul 15 08:50:12 PDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
To: fight-censorship at vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: If you build it, they will con, from the Netly News

************

http://pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1168,00.html

The Netly News (http://netlynews.com)
July 15, 1997

If You Build It, They Will Con
by Declan McCullagh (declan at well.com)

        Perhaps the thinking behind DefCon went something like this: Lure
   hundreds of hackers to Las Vegas in the middle of the summer, ply them
   with cheap beer, talk about packet sniffing, and observe. Last year
   the result was self-organizing chaos, capped by an event where the
   hired strippers were upstaged by a band of exhibitionist
   conferencegoers. "The pimp was like, 'Oh my God,'" says Dark Tangent,
   DefCon's organizer.

        Last weekend's fifth annual DefCon may have been a little less
   raucous, but it was no less important as a place where hackers from
   around the world gather to socialize, gamble -- and glance around
   furtively trying to spot the government agents who infiltrate the
   convention. (Bonus: If you guess correctly, you can take a prized "I
   Spotted the Fed" T-shirt home with you.)

[...]