Citizens' Butts Open to Key Recovery Alternative

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sat Jul 12 18:01:04 PDT 1997

Alan wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/5133.html
> McCain Open to Key Recovery Alternative
> by Rebecca Vesely
>
> Senator John McCain, sponsor of legislation that
> would create a domestic key recovery system for all encrypted
> commercial transactions and personal communications, said Friday that
> he is open to hearing alternatives to such a plan.

  Didn't one of the list members just mention a "cracking open the
citizen's brain with a crowbar" plan? Has anyone forwarded it to
McCain yet? Is he proposing "use of a thick skull in the commission
of a crime" legislation yet?

> Privacy advocates and much of
> the high-tech industry oppose domestic key recovery on grounds that it
> would violate civil rights

  Which is their way of saying that compromise and selling-out is
going to come at a premium price on this issue.

>and be impractical and expensive to build and manage.

  And will thus provide outrageous profits for those who are chosen
to pluck _this_ golden goose. (CryptoStar Wars?)

> McCain said he met with Microsoft representatives recently to discuss
> a new technology being developed by the software giant that could be
> less intrusive and problematic than key recovery.

  Less "blatantly" intrusive? Less "obviously" intrusive?
  or
  More "secretly" intrusive? More "sneakily" intrusive?

  Less "fascistly" intrusive? Less "unconstitutionally" intrusive?
  or
  More "justifiably" intrusive? More "corporately" intrusive?

>The senator also said
> he plans to meet with Netscape officials next week to discuss yet
> another alternative.

  Translate that to say, "To work one industry giant against the
other." or "To engender in each of them the fear that their chief
competitor will be chosen to profit outageously for helping to
violate the civil rights of their customers.

> Just two days ago, at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the bill,
> FBI director Louis Freeh testified on the need for mandatory domestic
> key recovery, and some senators on the committee, notably the
> chairman, Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), seemed to agree that some sort of
> domestic key recovery is needed to allow law enforcement to wiretap
> suspect digital communications and transactions.

  Translate that to say, "to allow law enforcement to wiretap _all_
digital communications and transactions in order to decide which
ones they wish to apply for a _legal_ wiretap for."

  The reason it is called "Capitol Hill" is because there is a
"mountain of capital" waiting for anyone who wants to play ball
with the criminals who inhabit that dark lair.
  Tim May pointed out the "fever" overtaking the legislators to
be the first to mine the "hard on drug dealing pedophiles" gold
that the LEA's have promised them on this issue.
  McCain is now making the rounds of the corporate players to
offer them a chance to help draw the map that will lead to the
thirty million pieces of silver the Romans in D.C. are offering
anyone who will betray the citizens.

  "And as BillyG was beneath in the Whitehouse, there cometh one
of the maids of Louis Freeh:
  "And when she saw BillyG counting his money, she looked upon him,
and said, 'And thou was also wast with Citizen of the Constitution.'
  "But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand what thou
sayest. And he went out of the Lincoln bedroom onto the Whithouse
lawn to count his money; and the cock(sucker Louis Freeh) crew.
  "And a maid saw him again, and began to say to them that stood
by with large guns and open warrants, 'This is _one_ of them.'
  "And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by
said again to BillyG, 'Surely thou art _one_ of them: for thou
art a FreeMarketer, and thy speech agreeth thereto.
  "But he began to curse and swear like a CypherPunk, saying,
'I know not this Constitution of which you speak.'
  "And the second time the cock(sucker Louis Freeh) crew.
  "And BillyG called to mind the word that the Citizen said unto
him, 'Before the cock(sucker Louis Freeh) crow twice, thou shalt deny
your customers' civil rights thrice.' And when he thought thereon,
he wept."

Or,
  Will Netscape's Moses Weinstein come down from the "mountain of
capital" with the stone tablets upon which are engraved the
command-line-ments which will be used to access the records of
those who own the golden calves and the goats?

{Old Testament Joke: "What is the difference between a Gentile
and a sacrificial lamb of God?"  Answer: "Tablet escrow."}

{New Testament Joke: "What issue should have been addressed by
an "amendment" to the Torah that was essential to protect
"Religious Security" and prevent the overthrow of the Pharisees
and Saudecees?"   Answer: "Body recovery."}

Jesus F. Christ of Nazareth (the band!)
"I am the Way(-out) and the Truth(Monger) and the Light (that
doobie and pass it over here)."
"There is something wrong when I'm a sinner under an increasing
number of commandments."
"Spirituality interprets commandments as damage and rises
above them."