Routing around damage

Ryan Anderson randerso at ece.eng.wayne.edu
Fri Jul 11 15:51:10 PDT 1997

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Anonymous wrote:

> Remember "the internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around
> it"?  I'd be happy with an internet that interprets DAMAGE as damage and
> routes around it.

It does.. It's just that when you lose a *large* access point, the impact
is significant.  (I think that's what happened here...)

> >A minor construction accident in San Jose, California, caused
> >three hours of Internet slowdowns this morning, especially for
> >those trying to connect to and from West Coast Web sites.
>
> >Backbone Internet providers route requests and information
> >through about a half-dozen network access points (NAPs).
> >When one has a problem, it can affect the entire Internet.

Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
randerso at ece.eng.wayne.edu                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9