Hacker cracks ESPN

Lynne L. Harrison lharrison at mhv.net
Thu Jul 10 21:02:33 PDT 1997

At 08:08 PM 7/10/97 -0700, Alan Olsen wrote:

>          Starwave said the credit-card information was in a secure,
>          encrypted area that was accessed by an intruder who had
>          the proper password information. "This was not done by a
>          hacker," said Jennifer Yazzolino, a Starwave spokeswoman.
>          "They knew how to get in to the system and unlawfully used
>          classified information." The area that the intruder broke in to
>          was an order-processing system that sends shoppers'
>          orders from each site to 1-800-PRO-TEAM, a Florida
>          fulfillment company.

Which, in other words, is an attempt to imply that someone "knew" the
password?  Note, however, that their press release does say: "who had the
proper password *information*".

>Following the break-in, Starwave called in the FBI and the U.S.
>Secret Service to investigate.

IMO, they should hire the person.  At least, s/he showed how insecure their
"secure encrypted area" was which was more than their own employees did.

>It has also implemented a new encryption process and
>changed all system passwords.

Good luck, fellas....

Lynne L. Harrison, Esq.       |    "The key to life:
Poughkeepsie, New York        |     - Get up;
lharrison at mhv.net             |     - Survive;
http://www.dueprocess.com     |     - Go to bed."

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your attorney; you are not my client.
             Accordingly, the above is *NOT* legal advice.