Jeff's Side of the Story.

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Wed Jul 2 13:11:50 PDT 1997

On Wed, Jul 02, 1997 at 09:00:04AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> At 7:40 AM -0700 7/2/97, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> >This probably has been suggested 20 years ago, but wouldn't Jeff's
> >problem have been solved if the following slight modification were
> >made to the algorithm: If you are the last remailer in a chain, then
> >with probability p you pick another randomly choosen remailer to send
> >through.  If p is 1 end user mail would never come from you; if p is
> >0.5 then half the time you send the mail on one more step.  The end
> >user, then, can never be sure of which remailer will ultimately
> >deliver the message.
>
> This general sort of thing has been discussed...though not 20 years ago! :-0

Just teasing.

> I don't know about this particular mathematical algorithm, but things
> generally like it.
>
> Long before a remailer shuts down, he should certainly adopt a strategy
> like this. Sending "his" traffic through randomly selected other remailers
> is certainly an option. (Any remailer can at any point insert additional
> hops, or even chains of hops, merely be addressing them correctly. Of
> course, the "original" (which may not be the real original, of course, as
> other remailers may have done the same thing) needs to "get back on track,"
> else the decryptions won't work. But this is all a simple problem.

I don't think it is so simple.  It is, as you say, easy to add
interior hops, but they don't do the remailers any good -- they add
cover for the end user only.  It is the "exterior edge" remailers that
are at risk, and such a remailer has no easy way of knowing if it was
selected at random, or was chosen as a specific target.  At least, I
can't think of an easy way.  A particular remailer may have cohorts
it trusts to be sources of random selection, but remailer trust is a
flimsy foundation.

> I don't know what gets discussed on the "remailer operators list," not
> being on it, but it sure seems to me that remailers have stagnated, and
> that some of the robust methods of reducing attacks on any particular
> remailer are not being used.

It's a problem with any infrastructure, though -- once it is in
place, change becomes hard.

The next generation remailer infrastructure should support a great
many remailers, and it should be impossible to target any single
remailer.   The infrastructure as a whole should be resistant to
attack.

This seems to imply 1) that remailers be small, cheap, easy to install
and run, 2) mail volume through any particular remailer should be
small, 3) the infrastructure should support transient remailers -- I
guess that is just a particular of a general robustness requirement;
4) the infrastructure should support volume restrictions from source
addresses -- for example, allow only 1 message per day from a
particular address.

Also, the "routing algorithm" should involve two stages -- the first
stage should be for the benefit of and controlled by the end user, to
bury the message in the network so that it can't be traced (unless a
secure retrace path is built in to the message).  The second stage is
for the benefit of the remailers, and controlled by them.  During the
first stage the message is masked, and the destination address is
unavailable, during the second stage the message is unmasked, and the
destination address and message (probably) are clear, and the
remailer network is trying to decide which remailer to make the final
delivery.  (When I say "unmasked" I mean only at the remailer node --
not in transit -- the message is *always* encrypted in transit.)

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...