Jeff's Side of the Story.

Ryan Anderson randerso at ece.eng.wayne.edu
Wed Jul 2 09:05:00 PDT 1997

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Kent Crispin wrote:

> The non-deterministic retention time in the network could probably be
> solved, but at the expense of some significant complexity.  I have
> not been able to think of a secure way to do it, however.  [If the
> remailers know and trust each other, the problem is easy.]

Remailers using this could be configured to not modify the "date" header
until final delivery.  Then you can base the probablity of final delivery
upon some function of date/time or another header
"X-Remailer-Max-Delay-Time:"   If you're worried about traffic analysis,
it is possible to randomly modify the date/time header by small amounts
at each hop.  (This however only helps and somewhat loaded systems..)

Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
randerso at ece.eng.wayne.edu                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9