Workaround for filtering/cybersitter

Mark Rogaski wendigo at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 13:56:53 PST 1997

If I had experience with Netscape plugins and spare time, I'd
try it myself.  But here's my proposed solution.

A plugin in Netscape intercepts all requests,  encrypt the URL
with a pubkey algorithm, encode the string base64, send it as GET input to
a proxy server.

The proxy server decodes and decrypts the URL, gets the requested page,
and returns it.  This beats out URL-based filtering.

Still need to figure out the specifics of key-exchange.  If we use
40-bit encryption, it's exportable, and it still works in our threat
model (ie. we don't care if the watchers figure out the URL a few hours
later).

To beat out dropping packets with unacceptable pattern in them, we
could use an SSL-based server as the proxy.

The plugin could even have a nice little on/off switch and a list
list of available proxies.

mark

--
[]  Mark Rogaski                    || "Computers save time like kudzu    []
[]  wendigo at pobox.com               ||  prevents soil erosion."           []