Libel & the 1st Amendment

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Wed Jan 29 07:48:32 PST 1997

A couple points:

* The 1st Amendment does protect some lies. If I say "Jim Choate is a
Venusian albatross," the statement is probably (?) a lie, but I doubt
you'll prevail in a libel suit. What damages do you have? That's the key,
I believe -- the statement has to lower you in the opinion of others.

* Many 1st Amendment experts don't believe in the legal concept of libel.
It is, they say, a rich man's game -- if I'm libeled by the NYT, I'm
probably not going t be able to sue them, but Donald Trump can. Moreover,
if I don't have the resources to sue but the statement is libelous, it
creates a *presumption* in the minds of the readers that the article is
certainly true. (If it were not, I would have sued, right?)

* The concept you may be searching for is consensual speech, which I
believe a society should tolerate. Libelous speech isn't consensual,
though obscenity is.

-Declan