RC5-12/32/5 contest solved

stewarts at ix.netcom.com stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 29 07:13:11 PST 1997

Any bets on whether the $5000 RC5-12/32/6 contest will be solved
before the www.rsa.com contest status web page is updated?  :-)

Or how long before someone in the government starts talking about
how 56 bits takes 65,000 times as long to solve as 40 bits,
which is 26 years for a whole building full of computers,
and even 48 bits ought to take a month and a half for a whole
building full of computers (or supercomputers, if they hype it up....)?

At 09:55 PM 1/28/97 +0100, Germano Caronni <caronni at tik.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
>challenge: RC5-32/12/5
>time: from start of contest until Tue Jan 28 21:54:58 1997
>method: massive distributed coordinated keysearch, details later

which was a bit slower than Ian Goldberg's crack, but pretty close.
How many machines were you using, on average?

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)