Machine readable form (was:RE: [DES] DES Key Recovery Project, Progress Report #7)

Tobin Fricke tobin at mail.edm.net
Tue Jan 28 22:59:22 PST 1997

> This seems clear enough. If it's printed on paper, it's kosher for
> export. But if we're really overt about it, we may goad the government
> into attempting to control printed source code as well. That could
> prove most interesting.

Hmmm.. Printing out, say,  PGP as a book where each page is a 2 dimensional
bar code would be rather interesting.  Then again, OCR works pretty well
for normal text.

            A printed book or other printed material setting forth
encryption
	source code is not itself subject to the EAR (see
	Sec. 734.3(b)(2)). However, notwithstanding Sec. 734.3(b)(2),
	encryption source code in electronic form or media (e.g., computer
	diskette or CD ROM) remains subject to the EAR (see
	Sec. 734.3(b)(3)).

Does a barcode fall under "electronic form or media" or is it "printed
material"?  What about punched cards? (-:

Tobin Fricke