Fighting the cybercensor. (fwd)

Phillip M. Hallam-Baker hallam at ai.mit.edu
Tue Jan 28 14:12:09 PST 1997

Jim Choate <ravage at einstein.ssz.com> wrote in article <5c5891$ah at life.ai.mit.edu>...

> > Singapore and China are blocking certain net groups. I think
> > this is a bad thing, question is how can we stop it?
>
> 'We' shouldn't, it is their own country and it is up to their populace to
> stop it. Do you really want Singapore or China having a say in how we run
> our web? I certainly don't, and won't support any move to force any
> particular view on them. If Billy-Bob wants to shoot himself in the foot,
> let him. Might be purty funny to watch.

I don't agree with your view of states. The inhabitants of a
geographical area are not mere chattels of the governing power.

The right to rule rests on certain criteria which I believe neither
country meets. The harassment of opposition politicians in
obviously trumped up charges disqualifies any country from
calling itself a democracy.

> > The Web was conceived as offering despots and dictators a choice
> > between remaining in the dark ages and allowing freedom of
> > speech. Blocking and filtering schemes threaten this ideal.
>
> Bull, the web was conceived so physicist and other researchers could share
> data in a easily digestible format.

That was not all. We had a political Web site established
during the '92 election. I was in contact with Clinton's people
when we had fewer than 100 Web sites.

I am a cyber-revolutionary and the world has bought into
the chaos of our revolution. I never intended the Web to be a tool
for confirming the present social order which is manifestly
corrupt.

	Phill