Fighting the cybercensor

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sun Jan 26 20:12:27 PST 1997

Dale Thorn <dthorn at gte.net> writes:

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> > jim bell <jimbell at pacifier.com> writes:
> > > Look, I've proposed what I consider to be a remarkably consistent method
> > > prevent the kind of political tyranny that you criticize, and I don't see
> > > any recognition of this fact.
>
> > I said many times that I find AP a very interesting notion, worthy of study
> > Given how fast online gambling is growing, how soon do we have to wait for
> > a web site for taking bets on deaths of politicians and other prominents?
> > Why not set one up, using "funny money" not convertible to anything?
>
> If AP could really work, and AP is enabled by strong p-k crypto,
> that fact alone would justify the Washington boys doing *everything*
> in their power to stop *real* crypto (i.e., no back doors).

But they can't; and their efforts (ITAR, EAR, et al) are totally irrelevant
and ineffective and not worth the time people spend fighting them.

A prototype AP betting server, first limited to very innocent events (like
usenet postings containing certain regexps) and using "funny money" for bets,
would be a good demo.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM