Fighting the cybercensor

blanc blancw at cnw.com
Sun Jan 26 08:55:55 PST 1997

Toto and Jim Choate were having a little disagreement about the rights of
nations to maintain the boundaries of ignorance around their "citizenry",
and Jim said that no one outside a nation's boundaries should feel moved to
interfere with the program:

> 'We' shouldn't, it is their own country and it is up to their populace to
> stop it. Do you really want Singapore or China having a say in how we run
> our web? I certainly don't, and won't support any move to force any
> particular view on them.

Normally, I would agree that people who choose to live within a certain
locale and choose the kind of government that they will live with and the
kind of policies that they will accept as impositions upon their lives,
should be allowed to "enjoy the fruits of their labors".

But on further examination of the situation in 'foreign' countries, these
things must be realized:

.  Individuals do not agree with each other 100%

.  Individuals living within the boundaries of a nation will not agree with
each other 100% about the kind of government they should have

.  Many of the individuals living within the boundaries of *any* nation do
not have 100% control over which policies, or the quality of them, they
will have to live under

.  It is not uncommon for "leaders" of nations to take advantage of their
position to benefit more from the contributions of their citizenry than
vice versa (the citizenry benefitting from their leadership)

.  It is not uncommon for there to be proportionately more people in favor
of living in a state of dependence than not;  and it is not uncommon for
those who favor dependence to favor proposals which seem to put them on the
receiving end of "benefits" (versus being contributors); and it is not
uncommon for these "benefits" to be derived at the expense of such virtues
as freedom and liberty

.  Many individuals reside within a nation not because they favor its po
litics, but because they feel more comfortable among their own kind than
with strangers elsewhere - for example, Chinese who have lived in China all
their lives (and whose ancestral roots are there) will wish to stay there
and do what they can within the boundaries of that nation, rather than for
instance moving to Canada, when the going gets rough.

Given these things, nevertheless it is true that the internet , among other
events in our "modern" world, is opening up avenues towards advantages and
benefits hitherto difficult to comeby.   As many of you are aware, many
people are beginning to identify with a global network of friends and
co-workers according to their particular (or peculiar) interests, rather
than with the "Old Order".   It is becoming moot what nationality or what
government or what company one works for - the loyalties of the past are
being tested and re-configured in the minds of those who now do business
and communicate and share things and develop friendships, acquaintances,
and empathies, on the net.

So to speak of "having a say" on how Singapore or China or any other
nation-state runs "our web" or vice versa "us" having a say on how they run
"their web" is becoming irrelevant.   Economics will be determining how the
web is run, and by whom.     The identity of those who use it will be not
"those who are citizens of Singapore", but:  "my friend who lives in
Singapore and is having a hard time accessing a file that I wanted him/her
to have".   Affiliations will be seen differently by those who connect in
cyberspace, and if certain of one's cyberspace friends are having problems
- if, say, a Hitler were to suddenly rise up in their midst - then the
netizens could send their emergency alert out to anyone and everyone on the
net about a problem brewing which perhaps someone could help them deal
with, according to their ability to do so.

It is true that individuals still live within the physical boundaries of
"nations" which have formed in the past, and they still hold the concepts
of these boundaries in their minds and they still identify closely with
these, and they still vote problems upon themselves.   But it is becoming
an anachronism, and it is becoming inaccurate to speak of "what
Singaporians want for the internet".    This phrase would describe many of
those who live in Singapore, but not all of them.   It is more accurate to
speak of what  "individuals who use the internet" want, of what
 "individuals who want to communicate" want, of what  "individuals who want
to connect with others" want.

The identifications of self as a citizen who must be identified with the
vote of a majority, and consequently suffer the perception of oneself as
someone who "voted to accept restrictions of the net, therefore should not
be helped against it", is becoming irrelevant.   When a distress call goes
out from someone anywhere on the planet, the assistance and relief may come
from anyone anywhere who chooses to rally others and provide assistance.

It is not the traditional "we" against "them", and it is not the "citizens
of the US" helping those who "voted themselves a Hitler into power" or
"voted themselves into restrictions against free speech".   It is "those of
us who appreciate the liberty in communications technology" against "those
who would take it away".

    ..
Blanc