Anyone have info on foreign "ITARS"

Greg Taylor gtaylor at gil.com.au
Sat Jan 25 05:58:57 PST 1997

Bill Campbell wrote:
>Does anyone have any pointers to info about the import/export
>restrictions on encryption products in various countries. I know any
>such summary would be very dynamic, but perhaps there's something
>out there.

The Australian regulations are available at:

CUSTOMS (PROHIBITED EXPORTS) REGULATIONS - SCHEDULE 13
   http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/cer439/sch13.html

and:

AUSTRALIAN CONTROLS ON THE EXPORT OF DEFENCE AND STRATEGIC GOODS:
   http://www.adfa.oz.au/DOD/al/iic/excontrl/excohome.htm
Crypto software comes under Part 3, Category 5/2 of these regulations.
(These documents are in MS Word format)

ADFA, for those who are not aware, is the Australian Defence Force
Academy, the major tertiary training institute for the defence forces.

I have an extract of the key clauses of these regulations if anyone is
interested.

Briefly, the Australian regulations ban cryptography exports, claiming
responsibilities as a party to the Wassenaar Arrangement, although the
actual details of the latter regarding crypto seem obscure.  However, an
export license can be obtained on application to the Defence Ministry.
The conditions of such a license are not openly stated, and at least
one Australian software company has been refused a license.

It would seem that even "public domain" software such as PGP is covered
here.  Ironically, the international version of PGP is available from the
ADFA site at:
     ftp://ftp.adfa.oz.au/pub/security/pgp263i/

The government attitude to crypto policy generally in Australia is much
more relaxed than in the USA.  There is a recognition of business and personal
need for strong crypto and that a balance needs to be sought between those
needs and that of the law enforcement community.  Although key escrow has
been raised as an issue in some circles, it has not formed part of any
government policy as yet.

Greg Taylor
EFA Crypto Committee