Rejection policy of the Cypherpunks maiing list

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Sat Jan 25 02:11:38 PST 1997

Cynthia H. Brown wrote:
> Beauty, flames and censorship are all in the eyes of the beholder.
> However, by providing both "raw" and "cooked" versions of the list, Sandy
> is allowing readers to choose for themselves whether or not they want
> someone else's filters applied to their mailbox.  Personally, I choose to
> press the "Delete" key myself.
> Agreed, and said private individual can do as s/he sees fit.  My only
> objection is that the moderated version has the same name as the original
> list (sounds like Rogers Cable's recent attempt at "Costs More Unless You
> Speak Up Now" channels).

I apologize for intruding, Cynthia, but I have a question about "doing
as s/he sees fit".  For example, what is the list?  Is it the equipment,
is it the software that runs on the equipment, or is it the contents of
the list (my writings, your writings, etc.)?  If I had to rank them, I
would rank the contents as being more important than the equipment or
the software.  That said, how can those contents be considered the
property of the list owner/manager to do with as they see fit?

I do understand that they have the right to manage the list as they see
fit, and to move the messages into whatever buckets seem appropriate,
but your phrasing suggested more to me, and I'm puzzled by it.