Rejection policy of the Cypherpunks mailing list

paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 01:58:47 PST 1997

> I would like to start a thread to discuss the moderation and rejection
> policy.

No doubt we all would but such threads may, without recourse to proper
moderation, all be thrown into cypherpunks-flames if Sandy believes
they will be critical of him. (prove me wrong Sandy, send this to the
moderated list).

> My perfectly crypto-relevant article regarding possible attacks
> on human relationships with the use of forged mail and anonymous
> remailers, has been tossed out (sorted) into cypherpunks-flames
> mailing list.

I don`t think I read the article (even though I subscribe to the
unmoderated list), can you forward me a copy.
As I understand it though, from other comentaries, it was junked
because it was in response to a message by Dimitri who, given that it
is Sandy that is moderating the list, is no doubt filtered by
different criteria than anyone else on the list, in my opinion a
censorous and fascist restraint as Dimitri has recently been posting
more crypto relevant material, besides which whatever the content of
his posts they should be open to review before a decision is made on
if they are to be junked or not.

> Sandy also states rather plainly that crypto-relevance is not the
> criterion by which he moderates this list. I question this policy.

Yes Sandy, please enlighten us, what is the criterion you use to
moderate the list if not crypto-relevancy. I suspect an element of
self preservation and protection of the list fuhrer and diktat maker
John Gilmore (who, until the disgraceful incident with Dimitri
commanded some respect on this list).

> I would like to hear your opinions as to whether such policies satisfy
> the current readership.

I don`t think this is the point, John Gilmore is free to appoint
whoever he wants to moderate his list, he is free to censor all
messages which criticise him and his censorship, however, subscribers
to the list should be told they are being censored on these grounds
and not on some facade of "crypto relevancy" or another thin veil
drawn weakly over content based censorship to protect a certain class
of list members.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1