Airport security [no such thing]

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at crl9.crl.com
Fri Jan 24 05:59:59 PST 1997

                          SANDY SANDFORT
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

C'punks,

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 ichudov at algebra.com wrote:

> Is it really true that my response was tossed out as flames?

a) NO posts have been "tossed out."  Your response was sorted
   into the "flames" list--not because it flamed directly, but
   because it was part of the threat started by Dimitri in which
   he engaged in flaming.

b) While I realize this is a judgment call that others might
   dispute, I don't think it makes much sense to post to the
   moderated list only the parts of threads that are not flamish.
   I would rather keep thread intact on one list or the other.
   There are exceptions.  I put one of Dimitri's post on this
   thread into the moderated list because the point he made did
   not require particular knowledge of the entire thread and had
   non-inflamatory relevance.

> It was crypto-relevant.

Perhaps, but crypto-relevance is NOT the criterion by which I am
moderating the list.  I am sort on the basis of (a) emotional,
non-relevant personal attacks on list members, and (b) spam.
I believe (and so far the postings have borne me out) that in an
atmosphere of civil, reasoned discourse, the relevance issue will
largely take care of itself.

By the way, contrary to what Dimitri has alleged, I have posted
every message from him in which he was able to restrain himself
with regard to gratuitous insults and/or spam.  In other words,
the set of Dimitri posts that have appeared on the moderated list
is not the null set.

By the way number two, this response will be posted to the flames
list and NOT the moderated list.  Even though I have not flamed
anyone, two things keep it off the moderated list:  (1) my policy
about keeping thread on the same list where possible (see above),
and (2) basic precepts of fairness.  Though Dimitri has stated--
without a scintilla of evidence--that my moderation policy would
be used to attack him and not give him the opportunity or forum
to defend himself, I am keeping ALL personal attacks off the
moderated list.  Those who are subscribed to the "flam" postings
can see numerous unkind posts about Dimitri that I have not
allowed on the moderated list.  That policy applies to me just
as much as to anyone else.

 S a n d y