greed and the internet

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 23 05:44:35 PST 1997

Attila T. Hun wrote:
>     greed and the internet
>
>         Problem is not just here --everywhere; the greedy commercial
>     bastards have oversold their network space intentionally as they
>     are bucking for per packet and timed usage charges which are
>     currently prohibited by the FCC and the state PUCs.

  Say, this couldn't be the old lets-create-a-problem-by-virtue-of-
our-own-greed-and-incompetence-and-then-use-it-as-proof-for-need-
of-more-legislation-and-create-expenses-that-the-little-guys-can't-
handle 'trick', would it?

>      slow networks make toast of the free hours
>     and overtime kills.

  Look on the bright side. At least your old 286 will finally be
worth some money when CompuServe and AOL decide to dump those
'fast' machines that are hurting their profit margin.

>         The Internet will no no longer be the peoples net, and the
>     commercial greedies are establishing a faster, more secure
>     network with controlled access points; leaving the common man's
>     access in the mud, still paying the exorbitant rates on a pay
>     before play basis.

  Any good rancher knows that in order to herd the cattle and the
sheep, you have to get them moving first. And once they get used to
being herded into the 'feedlot', they stop paying attention and
fail to notice when the 'feedlot' they get herded into happens to
be located conveniently next to a rendering plant.

>  That, and it gives control of information to
>     the government --which, as we all know. is 'heavenly white'
>     -above sin.

  Must be just a 'coincidence' that they are 'herding' all information
toward an entity spawned by the DOD and other government security
organizations--the "government 'behind' the government."

>         Universities are being bought off with the 'Internet II'
>     proposal which provides super trunks of over 600 Megabaud
>     capacity, a 400 times improvement. All of this feeds into five
>     stategically placed super-hubs where Uncle's shadow government can
>     monitor everything.

  Of course, the Universities' own communications will no doubt be fully
protected with Key Escrow Encryption.

>         The Internet was supposed to be our freedom: freedom of
>     information and government in the sunshine, but government is
>     proving it is still bigger, faster, and badder by using draconian
>     rules of illegal regulatory agencies. agencies which are usurping
>     rights limited to the legislative branch.

  I think that this statement shows a strong need for the academics and
intellectuals to discuss this issue, perhaps even write a 'paper' on it,
after giving it several years of close study, naturally.
  I, for one, would be more than willing to help them smuggle the
results
of their study out of the forced labor camp they find themselves in by
the time it is completed.

  Thanks for a thoughtful and insightful post on these issues. I am sure
that they will be seriously considered in a wide Circle of people who
are
not just composed of smart alecs with blanc minds.

Toto