Fighting the cybercensor. (fwd)

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 22 02:17:25 PST 1997

Jim Choate wrote:
> 'We' shouldn't, it is their own country and it is up to their populace to
> stop it. Do you really want Singapore or China having a say in how we run
> our web? I certainly don't, and won't support any move to force any
> particular view on them.

  And Germany was Hitler and the Nazi Party's own country.
  Do you really want Clinton and GingWretch having a say in how we run
our
web? (I don't).
  It may be 'their' country ('their' being the government), but it is
'their' world ('their' being the people). There was a reason that the
Western powers didn't return East Germans who broke the laws of their
country by climbing over the wall and running for freedom.
  Making information available does not 'force' a view on anyone.

> > The Web was conceived as offering despots and dictators a choice
> > between remaining in the dark ages and allowing freedom of
> > speech.

  I want a couple of whatever this guy is on.

> Bull, the web was conceived so physicist and other researchers could share
> data in a easily digestible format.

  No. The internet was conceived so that the DOD could monitor the
communications
of physicists and researchers who thought it was awfully nice of the
government
to provide this wonderful method of sharing data and information.

  Toto