Keyword scanning/speech recognition (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Jan 21 18:04:09 PST 1997

Forwarded message:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:11:24 -0600
> From: Rick Smith <smith at sctc.com>
>
> simultaneously.  Ahhh. The joys of microcoding for a 74S181 ALU.

Now there is a blast from the past. I was working at UT Austin in '82 on my
EE. I had to work part-time at the school for a non-classified project for
the DoD (only way they would let students work on projects on the main
campus). We were building a non-Von Neumann RTL (mono-bus computer) based
router for the ARPANet using the 181's clocked at 40MHz (fastest they were
reliable at) as the ALU's behind the registers. Couldn't find a way to
saturate the machine (had 64 serial ports driving 64 Z80's @ 4MHz sitting
on the RTL bus as addresses registers) on I/O. One of the guys working on
the project was taking an electronic music class from one of the members of
Journey (who was teaching a 1 time 1 semester class on electronic music) so
we ended up using it as a synthesizer. Worked damn well. Don't know what the
DoD did with it afterwards.

Thanks for the reminder of some fond memories.

                                                     Jim Choate
                                                     CyberTects
                                                     ravage at ssz.com