Airport security [no such thing]

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Mon Jan 20 21:52:24 PST 1997

Adam Shostack writes:

> 	The '3 questions' ("Pack your luggage?  let it out of your
> sight?  Taking any gifts?") originated with El Al, where they are the
> introduction to a very expensive (and privacy invading) set of
> screening questions.  The El Al people are trained to watch you as
> they ask the questions, and respond to signs of lying or rehersal.
> The Americans read the questions off the screen, and pay no attention
> to your answers.

Some airlines here in the US have set up "check in" terminals
near the gate so you can check in there instead of having to
deal with human beings at the desk.  The terminal asks the
magic three questions.  No chance for seeing someone's reaction
to the questions there (unless of course there's a hidden camera
pointed at the terminal, or some sort of biometric device attached).

One time I asked a ticket guy if he's ever had anyone say "yes" to
the magic questions, his answer was that the one time it happened
the person turned out to be an FAA three-questions enforcement squad
conducting a check.

--
Eric Murray  ericm at lne.com  ericm at motorcycle.com  http://www.lne.com/ericm
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF