[Math Noise] (fwd)

ichudov at algebra.com ichudov at algebra.com
Mon Jan 20 08:13:58 PST 1997

Jim Choate wrote:
> [...]

All reals are equivalent to sequences of digits, but there are reals such
that there is no algorithm to generate their digits.

It happens because there are "more" real numbers than algorithms.

> > In general, only countably many members of any uncountable set
> > can be precisely specified within any formal system, given names
> > comprised of strings of symbols, or other similar things.
>
> And I contend that ANY number which is Real can be expressed by the decimal
> expansion above. Which clearly qualifies as a formal system.

I suggest the following mental exercise. FORGET FOR A MOMENT ABOUT
REAL NUMBERS. Let's deal with mummies:

DEFINITION: I define a mummy as possibly infinite sequence of
characters, separated by one dot, such that only characters abcdefghij
are allowed. Also, mummies that are represented by finite sequences of
characters are by this definition equivalent to mummies that end
with an infinite sequence of letters "a". END DEFINITION.

Examples:

dce.abdefhaabdaaa
ae.cacacacacacaca...

and so on.

Obviously, some of the mummies, such as c.cccccc... (with an ininite
sequence of "c") CAN be generated by algorithms.

The interesting fact, that i will prove below, is that some of
them cannot be generated by any algorithm.

THEOREM: The set of mummies is more than countable
PROOF: if it is countable, we can construct a mummy that is not counted.
it is easy.

THEOREM: there are mummies such that there is no algorithm that
can print them.
PROOF: the set of mummies is more than countable, the set of algorithms
is countable, therefore there is no way to construct a one-to-one
correspondence between mummies and algorithms.

Do you agree?

Now let's back to the original problem of real numbers: the only
difference between mummies and real numbers is that digits 0123456789
are replaced by characters abcdefghij.

Not a whole lot of difference, so everything that applies to mummies
applies to real numbers.

	- Igor.