GSM crypto upgrade? (was Re: Newt's phone calls)

Steve Schear azur at netcom.com
Sun Jan 19 16:43:27 PST 1997

For voice calls, it is not possible to merely insert a more secure crypto
function (e.g., IDEA) inside the less secure A5 crypto, unless the GSM base
station's protocol is aware the subscriber unit is using the more secure
crypto.  Otherwise, when the GSM base station unwraps the A5 encrypted data
stream, which it assumes will contain digitized voice packets in the clear,
it will not find what its looking for and will be unable to convert the
packets to a circuit-switched voice signal.

If, as I have previously stated, the subscriber instead uses the data port
of his instrument and establishes a data link with his payload protected by
the more the secure crypto this is entirely feasible.

-- Steve

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear (N7ZEZ)     | Internet: azur at netcom.com
Lamarr Labs              | Voice: 1-702-658-2654
7075 West Gowan Road     | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
Suite 2148               |
Las Vegas, NV 89129      |

Internet, electronic currency and wireless development

        1935 will go down in history! For the first time a civilized
        nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer,
        our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
        lead in the future!
            --Adolf Hitler