Newt's phone calls

Sean Roach roach_s at alph.swosu.edu
Fri Jan 17 11:21:31 PST 1997

At 10:45 PM 1/15/97 -0500, Rabid Wombat wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
>> Don't be too sure that crypto is that far beneath the radar. I spent
>> Thursday through Saturday at an annual privacy conference for activists
>> from around the country, and they understood the principles. Their
>> voicemails were filling up with calls from reporters last Friday about the
>> Gingrich incident, and I know they were talking crypto.

>"Call Privacy and Security" are listed in bold, with "Say goodbye to
>eavesdropping" right below. Don't sell the public short; even me mum
>knows her cordless phone is insecure. ;)

I had to tell my sister not to use the cordless phone to use the automated
banking services that our bank has available on grounds that transfers are
also available through the same service.
Our father is a math teacher, computer hobbyists since 1979.  Both of my
parents have college educations.  My sister pegged the scales on the state
distributed proficiency tests.  Yet she knows practically nothing outside of
her field.  I will probably have to show her the values of cryptography
before she actually has any patient records to deal with, (she's a pharmacy
major.)