Newt's phone calls

Rabid Wombat wombat at mcfeely.bsfs.org
Wed Jan 15 20:56:47 PST 1997

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Don't be too sure that crypto is that far beneath the radar. I spent
> Thursday through Saturday at an annual privacy conference for activists
> from around the country, and they understood the principles. Their
> voicemails were filling up with calls from reporters last Friday about the
> Gingrich incident, and I know they were talking crypto.

I happened by the Sprint display in a local office supply super-store,
and Sprint is touting the benefits of their digital wireless phone system
("Spectrum"). It is only available in a handful of cities outside the DC
metro area (they list NYC as being added "early 1997", and L.A., CHI, and
others aren't even mentioned), but there's definately a market in the making.
The cost is competetive to non-digital rates, but the geographic
limitations are currently quite restrictive, and range appears to be limited.

"Call Privacy and Security" are listed in bold, with "Say goodbye to
eavesdropping" right below. Don't sell the public short; even me mum
knows her cordless phone is insecure. ;)

-r.w.