Newt's phone calls

Clay Olbon II olbon at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 13 16:13:37 PST 1997

I just caught the news reports of Newt Gingrich's cell phone calls being
taped by "a little old retired couple" with a scanner.  These were then
given to a congressman, who gave them to a newspaper.

The take on this that we won't hear is: "This is outrageous!  Why don't
cell-phones offer encryption to ensure our privacy?"

Unfortunately, I think crypto is still so far beneath the public
consciousness that the obvious solution to these sorts of problems is
ignored in favor of the "there oughta be a law" non-solution.  (Of course,
in this case there is a law!) What I really hope this incident spawns is a
market ...

        Clay

Clay Olbon			    olbon at ix.netcom.com
sys-admin, engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.