[STATS] Cypherpunks subscriptions on and off

Z.B. zachb at netcom.com
Thu Jan 9 11:49:26 PST 1997

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Stephen Boursy wrote:

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> >
> > Dave Hayes <dave at kachina.jetcafe.org> writes:

> >> Tell me, how can an audience be captive when they control the "delete"
> >> key?
[snip]

> > P.S. They lie about their killfiles, of course - Ray Arachelian,
> > Paul Bradley, et al follow up on everything posted by the people
> > they claim to have killfiled! Their follow-ups are obsessive and
> > repetitive: "I've *plonked* you, so I have the last word, nyah
> > nyah". And the next day they reply to the same people they claim
> > to be ignoring.
> >

>   Those who publically *plonk* always lie from my experiences--they
> are dishonest people.  Most who publically killfile not only still
> read you but they are already obsessed with you and follow your
> every word--their sole goal (and this is the sad part about their
> lives) is to try to prevent others from reading your words.
>
>                            Steve

Not necessarily, Steve - some people plonk others by filtering their mail
to a folder called "trash" or "crap-messages" or whatever, so they don't
have to read them at the same time they read the rest of their messages.
Then they go through the trash folder later on just to see if they threw out
anything that they shouldn't have, see the messages by the people they
killfiled, and reply to some of them.  They HAVE plonked the person, but
they can still read and reply to the plonked messages if they choose.

IMO, this is a better way to killfile than redirecting everything to
/dev/null, because if someone has a history of violently flaming whatever
you say (like some people on this list who shall remain nameless), you don't
have to read their flames at the same time with the rest of the mail, but
still have the option of reading and replying to them later on if you so
choose.

Zach Babayco

zachb at netcom.com <-------finger for PGP public key

If you need to know how to set up a mail filter or defend against
emailbombs, send me a message with the words "get helpfile" (without the
" marks) in the SUBJECT: header, *NOT THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE!*  I have
several useful FAQs and documents available.