About ICF(International Cryptography Framework)

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 7 22:30:03 PST 1997

Starr wrote:

> Has anyone heard anything or been paying attention to the development of
> the ICF(International Cryptography Framework) standard.  This seems to
> be an attempt of the US Gov and a FEW of our favorite corps to
> completely control cryptography standards as well as to have the keys to
> all cryptographical content.

  It's not an 'attempt', its a 'done deal'.
  The new 'laws' have pretty much already been written to control
cryptography world-wide. The only thing left is for the Big Boys
to fight over control (and the spoils).
  I have a relative involved in this farce.  For as long as I have
known him, he has always tended to get a 'pained' expression on his
face every time words like 'freedom' or 'rights' get slipped into
a conversation.

> I've also managed to get a hold of Ray Bamford (ray_bamford at hp.com)at HP
> who seems to have some PR role in this wool over the eyes attempt.

  When you use the word 'censorship', does he counter-attack with the
word 'moderation'?

Toto