About ICF(International Cryptography Framework)

Starr spanky at europa.com
Tue Jan 7 16:14:26 PST 1997

Has anyone heard anything or been paying attention to the development of
the ICF(International Cryptography Framework) standard.  This seems to
be an attempt of the US Gov and a FEW of our favorite corps to
completely control cryptography standards as well as to have the keys to
all cryptographical content.

The only information I've found so far is on HP's website

http://www.dmo.hp.com/gsy/security/icf/main.html

I've also managed to get a hold of Ray Bamford (ray_bamford at hp.com)at HP
who seems to have some PR role in this wool over the eyes attempt.  It
seems to be just another (souped-up, in disguise attempt at the clipper
chip except on an International basis).

When I spoke to him he told me that the only information that has been
issued is what you seen in the technical paper, and that the info they
have is extremely exclusive, even if you are a legitimate company
working on cryptography issues, etc.

Check it out...I would definitely like to hear your opinions as well as
if any of you have more information on this subject(newsgroups, mail
lists, etc).

-spanky