C'punks "moderation" experiment

Vin McLellan vin at shore.net
Mon Jan 6 06:39:36 PST 1997

	Dale Thorn melodramatically stalked in from Stage Right.

>Well, Vin, without commenting on your plug for censorship, I can only
>say that I hope you are *very* fond of Sandy Sandfort, since he becomes
>YOUR LORD GOD for cypherpunks list purposes.

>How many other gods do you have, Vin (if that's your real name, Vin)?

	When I get jumped by a guy like you, Dale (that your real name,
btw?) I am all but overwhelmed by the urge to snarl in response. (It makes
me wonder if _everything_ from _everyone_ hits you this way?  That would
explain a lot.)  And I generally enjoy weirdness.

	Many Gods? Real names? As usual -- I swear by all the Gods;-) -- I
haven't the faintest fucking idea what you are fussing, hinting, and going
into a hissing fit all about!

	Where, pray tell, is your "censor" when a moderator is merely
identifying a selection of the List's traffic as substantive?  (While you
and others of strong stomach are allowed to wallow in all the rest to your
heart's content?) I'd be willing to defend a far less liberal mechanism
against the slander of censorship. No one signed up to be force-fed this
crap!  (You need a audience, Dale, earn it -- don't try to trap the
C'punks.)

	On any day in the past two years, John G. could have selected his
proxy moderators by blind lottery from among the C'punks' subscribers...
and 90 percent of the slime-balls and empty rants (and most of Thorne)
would have been filtered out without going near a gray area.   Personally,
I don't mind the flames and smoke -- I just want a little meat somewhere on
the grill too.

	(Yeah, priceless prose like this post might not make the cut either
-- but I feel bad about enriching Dale's therapist further anyway.)  I wish
it wasn't necessary, but I think it is.  (I know maybe 8 folks who fled the
List in recent months.) I'm also heartened and impressed by the balance of
process and human judgment that will inform the moderation.

	Suerte,
	            _Vin

         Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin at shore.net>
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548