New crypto regulations

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 2 13:42:28 PST 1997

In article <199612301517.KAA01543 at pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu>,
Peter D. Junger <junger at pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu> wrote:

> : Does this mean that if a journal published an article on some strong
> : non-key escrow encryption algorithm that included source code, it
> : could not later offer that same article on a CD-ROM collection?  or
> : provide that same source code online?
>
> That is exactly what the new regulations seem to provide.  An interesting
> question is what is the status of all those issues of Byte and Dr.
> Dobb's that do have cryptopraphic source code and that are currently
> available on the net.  Or are there any such articles?

Here's one.  Ian Goldberg and I wrote a Dr. Dobb's Journal article on
Netscape's insecure random number generation.  It contained a few short
snippets of code that described how Netsape's PRNG seeding process
worked.  I believe that they may fall under the category of 'cryptographic
source code'.  And...guess what... DDJ in fact published the article
online at

http://www.ddj.com/ddj/1996/1996.01/wagner.htm

Here's a citation:

Ian Goldberg and David Wagner.  "Randomness and the Netscape Browser".
Dr. Dobb's Journal, January 1996.