Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Wed Jan 1 13:43:09 PST 1997

At 10:54 AM -0800 12/31/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
>Our focus is more radical. We are effectively a cyber-militia, fulfilling
>Jefferson's recommendation that a revolution happen every 20 years.
>
>(Funny, there hasn't been one in more than 200 years. ...

I would say that the street action which effectively eliminated legally
mandated racial segregation about 25 years ago qualifies as a revolution.
People certainly put their bodies, and occasionally their lives, on the
line for it.  It didn't happen because the political powers that be decided
to do it.  It happened because people mobbed in the streets and made it
happen.

The same argument applies to the actions which forced the withdrawal from
Vietnam.

With the end of the cold war, and the ensuing reduction in need for the
entrenched national security establishment, we may be ripe for another one.
I personally hope our government will continue to show that it is civilized
by keeping the blood shed to a minimum.

Bill Frantz       | Client in California, POP3 | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in Pittsburgh, Packets in  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | Pakistan. - me             | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA