128_bit

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 27 17:38:25 PST 1997

Adam Back wrote:
> John Young offered RSADS/Security Dynamics press release:
> > "Security Dynamics Unveils RSA SecurPC 2.0"
> >  The package is claimed to the first 128-bit encryption software to
> >  be exported from the US and its territories, and allows companies
> >  to implement "seamless, full-strength encryption" worldwide.
>
> Seems the sales blurb press release from RSADS/Security Dynamics is
> misleading, checking out the web page referenced:
> (http://www.rsa.com/rsa/prodspec/rsasec/sec_eval/)
>
>    This Trial version of RSA SecurPC uses 40-bit
>   RC4 keys and 512-bit RSA keys. For more
>   information about the product, see the
>   product description page.
>
> What happened to "the first 128-bit encryption software to be exported
> from the US and its territories"?  In reality: more 40 bit cripple-ware.

  I sent these guys an email a week or so ago suggesting that if
their algorithm was as good as their advertising, then it must indeed
be a magnificent product, since their advertising is able to magically
turn 40-bit encryption into 128-bit encryption.
  They sent me back an email thanking me for supporting their product.
--
Toto