IDEA/Strength?

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 22 16:06:07 PST 1997

At 05:57 AM 2/22/97 -0800, Toto wrote:
>  Are you saying that the strength of encryption provided by PGP
>is dependent upon the password one uses?

PGP _conventional_ encryption - the straight IDEA stuff,
not the public-key stuff.  pgp -c just uses a hash of a passphrase
as its encryption key, rather than generating a high-quality 128-bit key
and encrypting it with a public key.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)