[Declan McCullagh: "A List Goes Down In Flames," from Netly]

Michael Ehling mehling at ibm.net
Tue Feb 18 20:39:19 PST 1997

At 10:31 AM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
<snip>

>Having been "on" the net for over 15 years -- and with experience
>in both ends of the censorship/moderation problem  (I'm probably
>the only Cypherpunks member to have had a book "banned in Boston"),
>I'm sorry that a handful of sociopaths managed to destroy this
>experiment in anarchy, but I suspect that this was inevitable.
>
>Martin Minow
>minow at apple.com

For the FWIW dept:
----------
Hmm...yes I agree.  Handful of sociopaths.  Inevitable?  Perhaps.

On one hand anarchy, on the other control.  Free-wheeling vs. stifling.
Complete free speech vs. censorship.

Oh, sure.  You can always say that one is more "right" than the other.  But
I believe everyone sees the validity of both sides...whether you agree with
them is another thing. So, we seem stuck between the two. And yet, they say
there is always a third option.  We just need some time to pull away and
see it.

This "experiment in anarchy" may be coming to an end.  But I like your
choice of words: "experiment."  We've learned a great deal through this
one.  Perhaps next time we'll structure things differently.  Who knows?
Long after the last packet leaves cyhperpunks at toad.com, the spirit, the
ideas and ideals will remain.

Take good care,

Michael Ehling