paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 05:58:03 PST 1997

> > PS. His sexist comments are rubbish too.  I usually like his crypto posts,
> > however, as long as they are technical rather than legal...
>
> Paul's sexist comments are very interesting - I hope to find more time to
> comment on them too. I don't know if they have the same kind of "affirmative
> action" in the U.K. that they have in the U.S. - here if you find a woman
> in the position of authority, there's a good chance that she was promoted
> ahead of more qualified men to meet some quota, and is therefore incompetent.

We do not have such laws as far as I`m aware (I try to know as little
as possible about law and finance/econimics as I find them intensely
boring, even if they are necessary knowledge as a proponent of
freedom of action and speech) but in my experience a number of
employers promote women ahead of men in order to avoid costly
industrial tribunals brought for discrimination. I also believe for
the same reasons a lot of known homosexuals, blacks, <insert minority
group of choice here> are promoted ahead of more qualified white,
straight males.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1