Waiting for Mac version [was Re: Full strength Email Clients]

Fred Condo fred at lightside.net
Sat Feb 15 09:26:03 PST 1997

At 3:30 PM -0800 2/13/97, P.J. Westerhof wrote:
>At 12:10 7-02-97 -0500, Timothy Hill wrote:
>>Meanwhile, a beta version of "Pretty Safe Mail"
>><http://www.highware.com/highware/PSM/safemail.htm> is available from
>>Highware in Belgium.  It's PGP compatible, and its user interface is a
>>great leap forward from any Mac PGP front end I've seen.  But, it still has
>>some deficiencies, it's very slow (25 seconds to sign this message on a 25
>>MHz 68040 vs. 4 seconds for ViaCrypt PGP 2.7.1), and (as was recently
>>discussed on a couple of these lists) its source code hasn't been published
>>or externally audited.
>
>And today - one week later - *no* version is currently available.
>I would say this adds to the reservations some of us may have had about PSM.
>Thus far PGPMail 4.5 leaves out not only Mac-users, but W3.11-users also. I
>have asked PGP.com what they intend to do about the 3.11-users
>(W32s-enhanced or not). Since I'm sticking to W3.11 for the time being:
>somebody else have any suggestions?

I notice that PSM has had a name change concurrent with its availability
change. Could the unavailability have to do with a trademark dispute
between Highware & PGP, Inc.?

Is Highware going to release the source code of VSM?

Is PGP, Inc. going to release the source code of PGPMail 4.5?

If the answer is no, I am sticking with the free PGP. If the answer is no,
I guess these firms are expecting ignorance to be the primary
characteristic of their customers.