[Declan McCullagh: "A List Goes Down In Flames," from Netly]

Steve Schear azur at netcom.com
Sat Feb 15 00:27:30 PST 1997

I want to thank you for the years of graciously hosting the cypherpunks
list.  Although I have only been active on the list since September, I have
lurked much longer and found it to be an invaluable source of information,
networking, discourse and inspiration.

I respect your decisions first to experiment with moderation and later to
pull the plug.  I regret your attempts in resolving the uncivil behavior of
'the few' failed and that some key posters, who had served as the
'backbone' of interesting discussion on the list, were driven off by the
insuing clamor and the off-topic rants.  So be it.  One way or another the
cypherpunks have spoken.

So, now its on to Usnet and more focused/moderated lists.  The LIST IS
DEAD, long live THE LISTS!

--Steve