RRE: Fear and Loathing at the FCC

E. Allen Smith EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Fri Feb 14 17:11:58 PST 1997

From:	IN%"rre at weber.ucsd.edu" 14-FEB-1997 07:16:51.99
To:	IN%"rre at weber.ucsd.edu"
CC:
Subj:	Fear and Loathing at the FCC

[Forwarded with permission.  This is the closest thing I've found to real
research on the FCC-access-charges-for-ISP's action alert you have no doubt
seen recently.  Right or wrong, this was an incredibly badly designed alert.
Please let me recommend that you *never* forward any kind of alert message
unless it is signed, includes detailed background information or at least
a URL that points to background information, and includes a time-out date.
For more information on the proper construction of Internet action alerts,
see  http://communication.ucsd.edu/pagre/tno/january-1994.html#action ]

This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to  rre-help at weber.ucsd.edu

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:18:54 -0600
From: Patrick Douglas Crispen <crispen at campus.mci.net>
Subject: TOURBUS -- 13 FEBRUARY 1997 -- EDUPAGE / FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC

  /~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~|~~\
 |     FREE  FUGEES  CD - WIN  AT  WWW.MEDIADOME.COM      /    |   \
 |__________|__________/___________|__________|__________/     |    \
 /                                                      /______|-----\
 |  Haven't come to Mediadome(sm) yet?  We're still     |//////|     |
 |  giving away free Fugees CDs.  Just sign up for      |//////|     |
 |  our digital dispatch-better hurry, only 4 more      |//////|     |
 |  days! Come see our Fugees Webisode & play the       |//////|     |
 |  'Video' game - based on the Fugees' hit song &      |//////|     |
 |  video, 'Ready Or Not'- only at www.mediadome.com    |//////|     |
 ~~~/~~~\~~/~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~\~~~~~
    \___/  \___/   T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s   \___/

TODAY'S STOP: EDUPAGE / FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC
TODAY'S ADDRESSES:
     http://www.worldvillage.com/wv/hotel/tourbus/archives.htm
     http://www.educom.edu/web/edupage.html
     http://www.eff.org/papers/eegtti/eeg_83.html#SEC84
     http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

Hi, kids!

Put your seat belts on, because our latest adventure is about to get under
way!  Before we pull out of the terminal, though, can I interest anyone in
a magazine or two?  :)

 Time, Newsweek, Money, PC Magazine, ZD Internet, Net, Yahoo, and tons
   more!  Plus, pick from 50 FREE subscriptions.  Send email now to:
+-------------------- ( tourbus at magazines.com ) ---------------------+

By the way, I have a sinking feeling that a few of you may want to forward
part of today's post to some of your friends.  I would be happy if you did
this -- just make sure that you give credit where credit is due.  :)

EDUPAGE
-------

I think I am losing my mind.  I distinctly remember pulling our little bus
of Internet happiness into Edupage before, but for the life of me I can't
find a copy of that post anywhere in the TOURBUS archives (which, by the
way, can be found on the World Wide Web at
http://www.worldvillage.com/wv/hotel/tourbus/archives.htm).

Anyway, Edupage is an absolutely wonderful, free, e-mail-based "summary of
news items on information technology, and is provided three times each week
as a service by Educom -- a consortium of leading colleges and universities
seeking to transform education through the use of information technology."

Edupage is actually a misnomer, because Edupage doesn't really talk about
education.  Rather, Edupage send you one paragraph summaries of technology
stories printed in leading newspapers and magazines (like Business Week,
Information Week, Forbes, etc.).  Each issue of Edupage usually contains
between 6 and 10 of these summaries.

If you want to subscribe to Edupage (remember, it's FREE), just send an
e-mail letter to

     LISTPROC at EDUCOM.UNC.EDU

with the command

     SUBSCRIBE EDUPAGE YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME

in the body of your e-mail letter, replacing YOURFIRSTNAME and YOURLASTNAME
with your first and last names.

You can also find Edupage on the Web at

     http://www.educom.edu/web/edupage.html

Edupage is clearly one of my favorite resources on the Net.  It provides
cutting-edge technology information in a size that is easy to digest, and
as a professional college student I *often* find myself quoting and
applying the information that I have found in Edupage.

FEAR AND LOATHING AT THE FCC
----------------------------

Over the past couple of weeks, you may have received e-mail letters telling
you that

     Many local telephone companies have filed a proposal with the FCC
     [The United States' Federal Communications Commission] to impose
     per minute charges for Internet service.  They contend that use
     of Internet has or will hinder the operation of the telephone
     network.

At first, I thought that this was simply a new version of the old "modem
tax" hoax (http://www.eff.org/papers/eegtti/eeg_83.html#SEC84) that has
been floating around the Net since *1987*.   After all, the current FCC
story has all of the markings of a classic urban legend:

     1. It uses official-looking language;

     2. It mentions a government agency or an organization with
        which everyone is familiar;

     3. It contains a plea for you to take some sort of immediate
        action; and

     4. It requests that you forward the warning letter to as many
        people as possible.

Besides, according to an article that appeared in this morning's Edupage,

     ONLINE COMPANIES ASK TELCOS, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"
     Tired of telephone companies' complaints that Internet usage is
     overwhelming their network capacity, the Internet Access
     Coalition has released findings contending that Net usage is, in
     reality, a bonanza for the Bells.  The study found that local
     carriers received a total of $1.4 billion in 1995 in revenues
     resulting from the installation of second lines in homes, while
     spending only $245 million to beef up their networks for the
     additional usage.  A Bell Atlantic spokesman says the real
     problem is that the telcos have no idea when a line will be used
     for data rather than voice, and thus tied up longer.  Both sides
     agree that the ultimate solution is higher capacity networks.
     (Business Week 17 Feb 97)

Well, out of curiosity -- and out of a deep-felt desire to avoid studying
for the two major economics tests that I have next week -- your fearless
bus driver decided to call the FCC in Washington to see if anyone there was
willing to talk about this rather explosive issue.  Unfortunately, I soon
discovered that the FCC only has one employee, she is a secretary, and her
job is to transfer all incoming telephone calls into voice mail hell.  :)

Actually, I talked to some nice people at the FCC who faxed me a 10 page
explanation of what's *really* going on.  Unfortunately, the 10 page
explanation was written in "FCC-ese," so I am going to have to translate
their explanation into English for you (and I can assure you that, since I
know *NOTHING* about telephony, my translation will probably contain a few
inaccuracies;  if it does, please let me know).

First, some local telephone companies have indeed asked the FCC to allow
them to assess a per minute access charge on the telephone lines used by
Internet Service Providers.  Local telephone companies currently charge
long-distance carriers (like AT&T and MCI) an interstate access charge for
the long-distance traffic that travels over their local lines, and the
local telephone companies would like to see this charge extended to include
the high-speed lines that your local Internet Service Provider uses to
access the Internet.

In December, the FCC rejected the telephone companies' request and
tentatively concluded "that the existing pricing structure for information
services should remain in place."  In other words, the FCC has tentatively
concluded that Internet service providers should *NOT* be subject to the
interstate access charges that local telephone companies currently assess
on long-distance carriers.

The FCC now seeks the public's comments on this conclusion.

Unfortunately, the "warning" letter that is currently circulating around
the Internet gives the impression that some sort of sinister operation is
afoot here, that the FCC and the telephone companies are trying to sneak
this proposal through without anyone noticing, and that it is up to each
and every one of us to stop the evil FCC.

What garbage.  In fact, the FCC has, at least tentatively, REJECTED the
telephone companies' proposal.  The FCC is now simply asking you if you
agree or disagree with their decision.

The most disappointing aspect of this whole situation is that because of
the misinformation that has been distributed across the Internet over the
past couple of weeks, the FCC has received 100,000+ e-mail letters, most of
which flame them for making a decision that EVERYONE AGREES WITH!  Hands
down, the flaming of the FCC is one of the Internet's most shameful acts
ever.

I also discovered another thing about the FCC that increased my respect for
their organization one-hundred-fold.  Part of the 10 page explanation that
the FCC sent me states that their "existing rules have been designed for
traditional circuit-switched voice networks, and thus may hinder the
development of emerging packet-switched data networks."  Because of this,
the FCC is also seeking the public's comments on the implications of the
Internet and its usage through the public switched telephone network.

Folks, *ANY* government agency that stops and says 'hey, we can ALWAYS use
some more information so that we are better prepared for whatever happens
in the future' has earned my respect and admiration.

By the way, most of the information that I have shared with you today can
be found on the FCC's "ISP" homepage at

     http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

If you would like to send your comments to the folks at the FCC (the
deadline for comments about their decision not to impose interstate access
changes on Internet service providers is Friday, February 14th), make sure
that you check the FCC's ISP Web page first.  At the bottom of this page
are some pretty specific instructions on what you need to put in the
subject line of you e-mail letter before you submit it to the FCC.

Personally, I'm going to leave the poor folks at the FCC alone for a while.
They seem to be doing a great job in the face of unnecessary (and
misinformed) opposition.

TODAY'S ADDRESSES
-----------------
http://www.worldvillage.com/wv/hotel/tourbus/archives.htm
http://www.educom.edu/web/edupage.html
http://www.eff.org/papers/eegtti/eeg_83.html#SEC84
http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

That's it for this week.  Have a safe and happy weekend, and make sure that
you visit all 3 sponsors who made today's TOURBUS post possible: Mediadome,
Magazines.Com, and ...

*--------------------------- MASS MUSIC -----------------------------*
  More Music For Your Money!  Over 185,000 Titles Just A Click Away.
 FREE Weekly Music Zine - Buy 7 Get 1 FREE Everyday - Treasure Hunt!
      TOURBUS Rider Discount code: SAVENOW! use it and save 5%
*------------------(  http://www.Mass-Music.com  )-------------------*

--------------------------------
TODAY'S SOUTHERN WORD OF THE DAY
--------------------------------

LAYMAN (noun).  A tart fruit.
Usage:  "Hunny, git me some more of that layman aid!"

(Special thanks goes to Tom Bates for today's word)

YOU CAN FIND ALL OF THE OLD SOUTHERN WORDS OF THE DAY ON THE SOUTHERN WORD
HOMEPAGE AT http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/word.html

 Join  : Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.AOL.COM
 Leave : Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.AOL.COM
 Info  : On the Web at http://www.worldvillage.com/tourbus.htm
 Advertising: E-mail BobRankin at MHV.net w/ Subject: SEND TBRATES
=--------------------------------------------------------------------=
  For info on my new book "Atlas for the Information Superhighway"
     send an e-mail letter to LISTSERV at UA1VM.UA.EDU that says
     GET ATLAS INFO F=MAIL in the body of your e-mail letter

     TOURBUS - (c) Copyright 1997, Patrick Crispen and Bob Rankin
 All rights reserved.  Redistribution is allowed only with permission.
     Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to get on the Bus!

   /O O  ./      .'             Patrick Douglas Crispen
  {O__,   \    {               The University of Alabama
    / .  . )    \                crispen at campus.mci.net
    |-| '-' \    }           http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/
  '---.~_ _ _&                    Warning: squirrels.