Congressional subcommittee hearings on computer security

Omegaman omega at bigeasy.com
Fri Feb 14 12:15:51 PST 1997

                Computer crimes rife,
                unreported
                By Reuters
                February 13, 1997, 9:45 a.m. PT

                WASHINGTON--Security experts say hackers
                are finding it easier to break into computer
                networks and steal money, partly because
                companies are reluctant to admit that they are
                vulnerable.

                "If I want to steal money, a computer is a much
                better tool than a handgun," Daniel Geer, director of
                engineering for Open Market, told a House of
                Representatives technology subcommittee hearing on
                computer security. "

Has anyone been following this debate more closely?  Nothing in any
of the articles I've seen on this story have mentioned the role of
strong encryption.

<rhetorical question mode on>
Why can't banks better protect themselves?  Why can't banks better
authenticate electronic transactions to prevent theft & break-ins?
Why is the such a dearth of protective measures available to the
institutions?

The public has a right to know!
<rhetorical question mode off>

Seriously, though, has anyone been following these hearings in more
detail?

me

Omegaman <mailto:omegam at cmq.com>|"When they kick out your front door,
   PGP Key fingerprint =        | How are you gonna come?
   6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2      | With your hands upon your head,
   59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63      | Or on the trigger of your gun?"
Send email with "get key" as the| -- The Clash, "Guns of Brixton"
"Subject:"to get my public key  |   _London_Calling_ , 1980