Private property & the cypherpunks list(s)

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Fri Feb 14 08:59:26 PST 1997

ichudov at algebra.com allegedly said:

> > IC> This is where the distributed nature of the list comes in.  if
> > IC> someone disagrees with Jim's AUP, he or she can use soem other
> > IC> mailing list host.
> >
> > 	And once I'm up and running, my cypherpunks list server will
> > not be interconnected with any server which has a similar AUP.  The
> > implication of the AUP is that if you _don't_ comply with it, you will
> > be blocked.  Without such an implication, the AUP is meaningless, and
> > I'm dedicated that there should be no filtering/blocking of any kind,
> > of the list.  Persons behaving 'unacceptably' should be handled by
> > social pressures by others in the 'community' of the list, and not by
> > policies of the list operators.
>
> Which is, again, a perfectly fine idea.
>
> I would probably disconnect from any server that
>
> a) does not let certain messages go through (unless they are fighting a DOS
> attack) and
> b) Alters content of any messages.

I can understand this sentiment, given the events of the past couple
of months, but it seems short-sighted.  If this scheme grows there
could be several hundred or more mailers involved, and there is no
technical reason why moderated lists couldn't be included.

Remember that each list operator actually represents a community of
users, users who are *free* to go elsewhere if they choose.  Clearly,
some people would chose to populate a filtered list.  There is no
reason whatsoever to discriminate against them.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com,kc at llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...