Private property rights on cypherpunks (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Wed Feb 12 22:26:25 PST 1997

While I'm not entirely unsympathetic with the notion that "information
should be free," your statements below are rather incoherent.

For purposes of analysis, let's talk about a story I report and write
myself. Depending on the article and travel involved, I may have spent
hundreds of dollars working on it. I am unwilling to donate those efforts
to the "public domain" every time; I may later want to sell the article to
recoup my costs. Think property rights. (Of course, I admit the need for
broad fair use rights as well.)

"De facto public domain" is an idea that deserves to die. Now.

-Declan