Transmission of Crypto material and ITAR

Benjamin Grosman bgrosman at magna.com.au
Wed Feb 12 18:56:30 PST 1997

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the impossible enforcement of ITAR/EAR:
Naturally I cannot download crypto software from the US, but most of these
sites have mirrors in other countries, such as the UK for PGP, and sweden
and finland for lots of things.

However, with the way that information is routed throughout the internet
from these sites, whenever I, in Australia, request packets containing this
data from the UK etc, it invariably passes through the US from coast to
coast! Therefore, if ITAR/EAR tries to govern that, aren't they really
trying to enforce something totally unenforcable? Surely they cannot expect
all gateways operated by, say, Sprint and MCI to packet sniff 'n' search?

Can anyone tell me what the ruling is with regards to this?

Yours Sincerely,

Benjamin Grosman

  Benjamin Grosman - Programmer, Magna Data Internet Solutions