Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer (fwd)

E. Allen Smith EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Wed Feb 12 16:12:17 PST 1997

From:	IN%"ravage at einstein.ssz.com"  "Jim Choate" 12-FEB-1997 18:43:56.23

> From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH at ocelot.rutgers.edu>

>> 	Umm... because you'll eventually accumulate _lots_ of addresses
>> that don't work, which will slow things down tremendously in sending
>> mail out?

>The current subscription is between 1,000 and 2,000 I don't think that is
>_lots_. All we need to do is count the number of bounces per address in
>a given period, the SSZ end is trying to decide between weekly or
>monthly cleanings, and then clear that address. At no point would I need
>to archive the original bounce.

	Someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong (I'm just
starting to learn about mailing list management), but isn't saving
at least the first bounce from a given address good in order to check
what address is the one that's actually bouncing? Admittedly, this only
applies to badly-formed bounces. The rest can just have the address
noted.

>> 	Well, loki at cyberpass.net has made the offer to host the entire
>> list... and Lance is certainly making money at it. While this would have
>> some problems in comparison with the distributed list idea (namely more of
>> a choke point), it would decidedly help.

>I certainly hope they get a cpunks address made available. I will certainly
>subscribe cpunks at ssz so that the distributed remailer will benefit from
>that input. However, one of the major realizations is that as long as one
>anything is involved in the list it is capable of being shutdown at any
>time with no warning. It also makes it much easier to compromise. I would
>like to see servers in several countries myself.

	Agreed.

>> >Is anyone interested in acting as a mail-to-news gateway?

>Want to volunteer?

	Give me some idea of how much programming knowledge, time, etcetera
is required, please, before I can answer. I'd be renting space on some other
computer (e.g., an account on cyberpass.net) to do it in; the only higher-level
programming language (i.e., beyond Applesoft Basic) that I know anything of
is Perl (and I don't know that all that well); and I am somewhat busy with
other stuff. In other words, it depends.
	-Allen