Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

Sean Roach roach_s at alph.swosu.edu
Tue Feb 11 15:59:34 PST 1997

At 10:45 AM 2/11/97 -0600, Firebeard wrote:

>JG> Sandy has agreed to continue moderation through the end of the
>JG> original 1-month experiment (through Feb 19).  And it's a good
>JG> thing, too, because the "cypherpunks community" had better get off
>JG> its whining butt in the next ten days, or it will no longer exist.
>
>[...]
>
>JG> This is a "put up or shut up" to the cypherpunks community.
>
>	This appears to be as good a time as any to announce that I'm
>"putting up".  I've already taken steps, along with Jim Choate, to
>start a network of majordomos hosting a Cypherpunks mailing list.  I
>didn't intend to announce this until Jim and I had gotten the first
>pair of 'domos working properly, but this means that we'll need to
>speed things up.  Our intention is to have a set of majordomos which
>are intersubscribed to a cypherpunks list on each one, with measures
>taken to ensure that mail loops don't develop.  As the resulting
>mailing list from each 'domo will be identical, periodically
>(initially weekly), the subscriber lists of all of the participating
>majordomos will be compared, with any duplicate subscribers being
>removed from the 'domo(s) with the longest subscriber list....
You might want to set up a temporary majordomo on the same machine as one of
the permanent daemons for debugging purposes.  It is conceivable to me that
a message might be sent to one sub-list, be forewarded to two lists, and
then each of those foreward the same message to each other, causing duplication.
You might get around this if the daemons keep track of each others, unique,
message ID numbers.
In other words, if each unit were to apend the message ID with a personal ID
number when the message came from someone other than a majordomo, then they
could collate them by number, eliminate duplications, and send them on down
the line.
To do this, the majordomo daemons will probably have to have a guaranteed
seat in the front of the cue.
This is probably a stupid point to bring up as you have probably already
cured this problem, but I decided to post it anyway.