The Frightening Dangers of Moderation

Against Moderation antimod at nym.alias.net
Fri Feb 7 21:38:16 PST 1997

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 20:54:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort at crl.com>
>
> Sir,

Please don't assume anything about my sex.  Do you think only men know
how to use nym servers?

> I asked you to keep our communications private.  You did not do
> so.  I have nothing further to say to you.

I understand your desire to keep this secret.  Believe me, I know this
must be an unpleasant situation for you.

Nonetheless, I believe this issue is so important and relevant to the
cypherpunks community that it outweighs your wish to keep it a secret.

I respect the difficulty of your situation, and would not try to air
this issue if I did not think exposing it immediately was of the
utmost importance.

Please, try to see this from as disinterested a point of view as
possible.  I know it's difficult being both the moderator and one of
the parties involved in the dispute.  However, we have a situation
here where threats of libel have suppressed not only technical
discussion of the actual software in question (which actually wouldn't
be much of a discussion), but even discussion on the mechanics of
moderation, something highly relevant to the list.  Worse yet, people
subscribed to the list DON'T EVEN KNOW that this discussion is being
suppressed.

We need to get this issue out, even if only in part.  If my article
was unacceptable, can you at least tell me which parts I should
eliminate.  I am willing to censor as much of it as I need to to get
it published, as long as my main point gets accross.  Surely you must
agree that my main point doesn't have anything to do with the piece of
software involved, right?  Has it really come down to a situation
where even the *fact* that some articles are being suppressed must be
suppressed?

Please.  Think of the purpose of cypherpunks.  Do the right thing.  I
am flexible.  I will edit my article even more.  But please, tell me
what I can do to get it onto the main list.  People need to know what
is happening.  I append my article here once again.  If you really
cannot accept it, at least tell me what I can change to get it
accepted.

Thank you.

- --