Deloitte-Touche?

Bruce M. bkmarsh at feist.com
Wed Feb 5 19:59:23 PST 1997

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Marshall Clow wrote:

> Mr. Murray gave a long, impassioned speech.
>
> He was very emphatic about not trusting anything
> that the government says, and that once they got
> their "foot in the door", that they would seek to
> expand their abilities to regulate, etc, etc.
>
> He advocated deployment of strong crypto. He
> insisted that there was no way the government
> could stop the export of strong crypto. He exhorted
> people to refuse to obey the ITAR/EAR regulations,
> and to lobby their congresscritters to get the
> PRO-CODE bill passed.
>
> It wasn't really what he said that amazed me, because
> I had heard most of it (in bits and pieces) before. It
> was presenting it all in a package, in an emotional
> manner, by an elderly, conseratively dressed
> accountant who was representing a large
> corporation whose job it is to help people obey the
> government.

    I was in attendance at an ISSA conference earlier this year where Mr.
Murray gave the "keynote" speech on Electronic Commerce.  While he did
strongly advocate the adoption of strong crypto and various methods of
security, he never stepped into the more radical mode of encouraging
people to break the law.  That was a different audience though.

    As he is also an ex-25 year IBM veteran it amazes me that he would
make such a public outcry against govt. regulations (okay, so it's a
stereotype).  Deloitte & Touche must really have a big stake in the
pro-crypto market or else he actually cares a lot.

            [ Bruce M. - bkmarsh at feist.com - Feist Systems, Inc. ]
      "We don't want to get our butts kicked by a bunch of long-haired
        26-year-olds with earrings." -- General John Sheehan on their
                       reasons for InfoWar involvement