Letter Re: Kahn Supporting GAK

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Wed Feb 5 18:23:43 PST 1997

At 05:16 AM 2/5/97 +0000, Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' wrote:
>My letter to Long Island Newsday regarding David Kahn's pro-GAK
>editorial was published today. You can read it at
>
>    http://www.newsday.com/mainnews/rnmi052u.htm
>
>What's odd (?) is how they editied it. I directed my comments toward
>Mr. Kahn's views, which they changed to "Newsday" (odd, since I've
>never seen them print an editorial one way or another on GAK; does
>this mean they are taking a stand? -- Kahn is an editor at Newsday).
>
>I wrote "The greatest flaw in the argument is it's very reason,
>'criminals... are increasingly using encryption to conceal their plans
>and activities'" which they changed to "It reports...". I never
>considered an op-ed piece as "reporting", even if it states a fact.

But which "criminals," exactly, are "increasingly using encryption to
conceal their plans and activities"?  Let's not concede this unless it's
really true.

It would be far more accurate to say that it's likely that many people who
are politically hostile to their government are using encryption in
anticipation of persecution by the government, persecution that could easily
come in the form of criminal charges.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com