My Departure, Moderation, and "Ownership of the List"

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue Feb 4 19:04:02 PST 1997

At 11:14 PM 2/3/97 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Several people have also commented on this, that their filters are still
>working overtime. As it should be, really, as no moderator can make the
>list match any given person's preferences.
>
>(Personally, I'm not even convinced filters are essential. It takes no
>longer than 5 seconds to glance at a message and know whether to scrap it
>or not. Granted, it takes a bit of time to download, especially at slower
>modem speeds. But whether Sandy's censorship is producing any significant
>"savings" depends on how many messages he's sorting into each
>pile...clearly if 20% or less of the total posts are being filtered out,
>then the savings are ignorable.

That might not be quite true, or at least not complete.  Another effect is
that the new structure of the list may deter some of the flamers from
posting, when they don't think their notes will be seen on the moderated list.

In any case, however, I agree that spam and trash are easy to filter out.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com