New X-Ray Imager

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Tue Feb 4 10:55:31 PST 1997

At 10:38 AM 2/4/97 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:

>| A poll last week by the Los Angeles Times found that a majority of
people --
>| 58 percent -- said they would curtail some civil liberties if it would help
>| thwart terrorism. Thirteen percent said it would depend on what rights were
>| at stake. The poll didn't ask people to single out any rights.
>
>	Its worth noting the 'if it would help thwart terrorism.'

It is irrelevant if terrorism is indeed be thwarted. The public does not
require this to happen. All that matters is to generate the *perception* of
increased security, not to increase security itself.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi